Jamie Carragher revealed Thierry Henry was visibly “embarrassed” after his spell in charge at Monaco ended in disaster.
But just two months later, with four wins, five draws and 11 defeats from his 20 games in charge, he was sacked.
Speaking to Sky Sports’ Off Script podcast, Carragher said: “I could almost see the embarrassment on his face.
“He didn’t come back to Sky but he would pop into the studio now and again when we were doing Arsenal games.
“You could almost feel he was a little bit embarrassed with how it went at Monaco.
“He tried to tell you the reasons – whether they were reasons or excuses – that’s what people have to do as managers. It just eats them up.”
Monaco announced on Friday that Thierry Henry had been sacked as manager and that former boss Leonardo Jardim had replaced the Frenchman at the helm of the Ligue 1 side.
The club said in the statement:
“AS Monaco announces the return of Leonardo Jardim to the position of AS Monaco manager.
“Leonardo Jardim has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract with the Club and, together with his technical staff, will take up his duties as of Sunday.
“This Friday, the club officially terminated the employment of Thierry Henry.
“Franck Passi, who led the training session this afternoon, will be in charge of the team for the upcoming match against Dijon.”
Henry said it was with “great sadness” that he left Monaco in a post on Twitter:
Henry was suspended on Thursday, with Monaco just a point and a place off the bottom of Ligue 1 after 21 games.
The former Arsenal striker took charge in October after Jardim was sacked, but the team won only five of his 20 matches in charge.
Monaco were hammered 5-1 by Strasbourg in the league on Saturday and were then knocked out of the Coupe de France on Tuesday by second-division side Metz.
Henry also found himself embroiled in controversy for a “foul-mouthed rant” aimed at Strasbourg defender Kenny Lala, per Goal’s Dom Farrell.