World No. 1 tennis player Novak Djokovic has announced that he will play at the US Open scheduled to start on August 31.

“I’m happy to confirm that I’ll participate at #CincyTennis and #USOpen this year.” He wrote on Twitter.

“It was not an easy decision to make with all the obstacles and challenges on many sides, but the prospect of competing again makes me really excited.”

Djokovic revealed he tested positive to the coronavirus disease three weeks ago after participating in the Adria Tour which he also helped to organize.

He later apologized and admitted he was wrong for being at the tour after becoming of the four players to test positive to the deadly disease.

His announcement of competing at the US Open comes as a surprise as he had previously said the tournament will be “impossible” due to the pandemic.

However, the three-time US Open champion says he is fully fit to participate in the competition.

“I am aware that this time around it will be very different with all the protocols and safety measures that are put in place to protect players and people of New York,” he added.

“Nevertheless, I have trained hard with my team and got my body in shape so I am ready to adapt to new conditions.

“I’ve done all the check-ups to make sure I am fully recovered and I am ready to get back on court fully committed to playing my best tennis.”

Defending champion Rafael Nadal, Women’s no. 1 Ashleigh Barty, former champion Stan Wawrinka, Elina Svitolina and Kiki Bertens have all declined  to participate over coronavirus fears.

Rafael Nadal

However, Serena Williams has maintained she remains committed to participating in the competition.

Meanwhile, Djokovic will also compete in the Western & Southern Open, which is usually held in Cincinnati but will be played at Flushing Meadows from August 22-28.

The US Open starts three days later at the same venue. Both tournaments will be played without fans in attendance.