Super Eagles legend Austin Jay Jay Okocha has been voted as Nigeria’s greatest footballer of all time in a poll which determines best players ever in 13 key national teams.
The list was compiled by ESPN.
Okocha polled 48 percent of the total votes for Nigeria ahead of Kanu who polled 33 percent, igniting a never ending debate on who is Nigeria’s greatest ever player.
Vincent Enyeama and late Rashidi Yekini also made the list, having polled 11 and 8 percent of the votes respectively.
On the international scene, Lionel Messi was voted ahead of Diego Maradona. Messi polled 65 percent while Maradona got 32 percent.
Cristiano Ronaldo 86 percent to become the greatest footballer of all time in Portugal while Eusebio came second with 10 percent.
Below is the complete list of Greatest Footballers Of All-Time as compiled by ESPN:
1. Argentina: Lionel Messi took 65% of the vote to Diego Maradona’s 32%.
2. Brazil: Pele earned 79% with Ronaldo second on just 19%.
3. United States: Landon Donovan polled 45% to Clint Dempsey’s 28%
4. England: Sir Bobby Charlton’s 56%, Bobby Moore (26%).
5. Portugal: Cristiano Ronaldo 86%. In second, Eusebio got 10%.
6. France: Zinedine Zidane 65% with Thierry Henry on 21%.
7. Germany: Franz Beckenbauer 63% to Gerd Muller’s 23%.
8. Italy: Paolo Maldini (54%). Second was Roberto Baggio (26%).
9. Netherlands: Johan Cruyff got 71% with second-placed Arjen Robben on 16%.
10. Spain: Andres Iniesta polled 41% with Xavi on 24%.
11. Mexico: Rafa Marquez got 33%, Hugo Sanchez on 53%.
12. Nigeria: Jay-Jay Okocha took first place with 48%, with Nwankwo Kanu second on 33%.
13. Australia: A big win for Tim Cahill, who got 72% of the votes to Harry Kewell’s 19%