Anthony Joshua will defend his WBA, IBF, WBO, and IBO titles in a much anticipated fight against Kubrat Pulev today (December 12).
The fight will take place at The SSE Arena, London in front of 1000 fan, as regulated by the British government due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Below are five interesting facts about “AJ” and the “cobra” fight:
- The fight was originally scheduled to hold on 28 October, 2017. But it was cancelled after Pulev sustained an injury during a sparring session. The fight was rescheduled on 20 June 2020 but was postponed again due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Joshua vs Pulev 2017 fight sold 70,000 tickets the first day after it was announced, making it the fastest selling event in history. It also made record as the largest boxing attendance to be expected indoors, beating Muhammad Ali vs. Leon Spinks rematch which recorded 63,000 fans at the New Orleans Superdrome in 1978.
- Pulev heads into fight against Joshua with 28 victories out of 29 games – 14 of which ended in knockouts while Joshua claimed 21 of his 23 triumphs via knockouts.
- Pulev has held the European Heavyweight title twice and won multiple international medals as an amateur. But he has never won the unified world Heavyweight title. Joshua has won the World Heavyweight title twice in 2016 and 2019.
- The winner of Joshua vs Pulev will challenge Tyson Fury who is the current WBC champion after defeating Deontay Wilder in February 23.